One 3 pound bag of unthawed chicken breasts plus 30 minutes = this interesting dish that I thought yours truly would snub his nose up and complain.
HA, he didn’t, even enjoyed it. I served this with a side of marinara, kind of like Chicken Pizza, without the bread.
The other thing I was missing was Mozzarella cheese, luckily I had some Queso crumbling cheese that I used on another recipe that did not turn out. The cheese was suburb in these, not too melty that it rushed out the sides as it is baking.
In fact the cheese stayed put, right where it was supposed to.
I was happy this made the cut for this incredibly good quick weeknight meal.
- Frozen skinless chicken breasts – I used 6 for a family of four.
- Queso Cheese, crumbled or Pepperjack would have been my second choice.
- Pepperoni slices
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of flour
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Cut pockets into the chicken breasts, but don’t cut all the way through, leave at least ¼ inch attached.
- Layer the pepperoni and cheese in each pocket.
- In 3 dishes, place the egg, flour and panko crumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a frypan, place the oil and preheat to flash fry the chicken breasts.
- Take one chicken breast, roll in flour, dip in egg, then roll in the panko crumbs. Place in fry pan and fry until just slightly brown, flip over. Continue the process until all of the chicken breasts fried and place them on a baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 25 minutes, or until 160 degrees internal temp. Then turn oven to broil and watch closely to get the top and pepperoni a little crispy.