Tomorrow is the day. School starts. I feel we have been cheated out of a hot summer. In Northern MN, we have had just a few days that have been perfect lake weather, where it is so hot you just want to hang out in the pool.
We spent the long weekend organizing, making grocery lists, taking an inventory of the freezer and so on. We made several dishes to share on this blog. And we did our annual labor day hay bale photo shoot. Once a year, I insist the kids climb on a hay bale and smile for me. Here is proof!
This weeks menu includes this make ahead BBQ pulled chicken. Super easy and takes wonderful. We add it to a toasted bun, with pepperjack cheese and as the BBQ is sliding down my chin, I remember how happy I am that I planned ahead…as we have 2 soccer games to attend this week:)
Here is the super easy recipe:
- 1 whole fryer chicken cut up.
- 1 large bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
- ½ sliced onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a crock pot, lay the sliced onion on the bottom. Add the cut up chicken, and garlic cloves. Season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the BBQ sauce on top of the chicken. Put the top on the crock pot, walk away and come back 3 hours later.
- Let the chicken cool down to where you can handle it. Using a cutting board and two forks, pull the meat from the bones. It should just fall off at this point. Throw the bones and grizzle. Discard the remaining BBQ and onion cooking mixture. Place the chicken in a bowl and top with the remaining BBQ sauce in the bottle.
- Serve on a grilled bun, with pepperjack cheese…just a suggestion.