The food is my favorite part of camping. The dutch oven spits out magnificent desserts, the fish we caught sizzling in a cast iron pan, the stress of planning before we leave…oh wait! I think I figured out one meal that is stress free, over the top delicious, and low calorie to boot. My mom and her family camp with us once a year in a remote camp in Northern Minnesota..read our adventures here www.thetravelingfour.com
Anyway, I can’t take credit for her recipe. She made shrimp bundles for the adults and a few chicken bundles for the kids, just in case shrimp were not on their camping pallet.
These were so good, I snatched the recipe right up! She did make the rice at home ahead of time as the recipe needs cooked brown rice, I think that is the best, otherwise you will have to boil water to put this all together.
- 1 lb fresh green beans or fresh asparagus spears cut into pieces
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup oil packed sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- ⅓ cup zesty Italian dressing
- lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Grey Poupon
- 24 Large Shrimp – I pound or 1 can cooked chicken
- Place beans in water, Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stir after 3 minutes, drain. Return beans to bowl, add cooked rice, parmesan cheese and tomatoes. Mix lightly.
- In another bowl, whisk dressing, lemon juice and mustard. Reserve 2 Tbsp of dressing. Add to bean mixture.
- Spoon onto 6 large sheets heavy duty foil. Top with shrimp or chicken and add reserved dressing. Fold foil to make 6 packets.
- Grill 10-12 min until shrimp is pink or chicken is hot.
My mom has a camper, hence she did.