Ultimate Comfort Food, that is what I should have named this blog. As I am sitting here, it is snowing and snowing and snowing. Really, we do live in Minnesota but we are NOT supposed to have snow like this in November. I think we are at about 10 inches right now.
This hot chicken sandwich came across my thoughts just in time. I found this fantastic deal on rotisserie chicken, bought one and whallla, yum ultimate comfort food. Next up Brownie Pie, keep an eye open for that one tomorrow since we are snowed and LOVING it.
I used regular toast because that is what I had. If I were to do it again, I would choose a nice fat crusty piece of sourdough, or a sturdy roll.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 cup whole milk -skim works too.
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices toasted whole grain bread
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese, or we used sliced pepperjack.
- Preheat boiler. In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper, cook until bubbly.
- Add milk and chicken stock;cook and stir until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Add the chicken and heat through. Stir in Parmesan cheese and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the toast with blue cheese, or lay a piece of pepperjack or cheddar and top with chicken mixture.
- Broil until chicken mixture bubbles and starts to brown on top about 5-6 minutes.
- Serve immediately.